When I started my business in July of 2018, I wanted to use the name, ALTru Solutions. I wanted to make solutions, plural. I swear I checked the URL and it was available. I then proceeded to contact “my cousin Vinny”, our local attorney and family member. He drafted an operating agreement using the name, ALTru Solutions. I carried the operating agreement to my local bank and opened a business checking account with a modest investment.
Later, probably the same day, I started building my website. I always advise businesses to begin with a web site. This is your business card and the way most Americans will ultimately find out about your product and service. Yes, social media is important but platforms such as Instagram only allow one URL link. Your call to action for an Instagram post usually routes clients to the website for a conversation. Changing these links to route to various pages on the web site allows flexibility and precise information for various campaigns.
I kept questioning myself. I could see the name was parked in a warehouse in Georgia. Was it there when I checked earlier?
Ok, not a huge hurdle except I’m a big fan of consistency. Operating agreement, bank information, Sectary of state registration, and web URL should match exactly with spelling and font.
Next, step; Contact “my cousin Vinny”. As an astute and very capable attorney, he simply filed a Doing business as or DBA with the Secretary of State. In Missouri, I’m registered as ALtru Solutions DBA ALTru Solution.
Fast forward to August 2019. I have received (2) rather inconspicuous emails without signatures, from a Gmail address, offering to sell me my first choice.
Are you perhaps interested in altrusolutions.com? It is being put on sale and we are taking in offers from any interested parties. I wish you a great day!
This is how I approached it
1. I went to https://whois.net/
2. I doesn’t really point to who owns it but does give relevant registration dates. If I’m reading this correctly, it is set to expire.
3. Registry Expiry Date: 2019-10-02T08:45:27Z Registrar: Ascio Technologies, Inc. Danmark - Filial af Ascio technologies, Inc. USA Registrar IANA ID: 106 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email@example.com Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4165350123 Domain Status: pendingDelete https://icann.org/epp#pendingDelete
4. I went to my registered site and checked the registrar. Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
5. checked the URL and looked at price to backorder.
6. In the end I didn't cough up the $10. Still discerning.